TORU SHIOMI / Photographer
1980 Born in Fukuchiyama, Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
After working as a scientist, started a career as a photographer.
2016 Live and Work in Tokyo, Japan
The photography for me is, a manner of approaching the questions, such as:
“What is the interface between Living things and the other?”
“What is the Nature of artificial things like architectures, industrial materials, and cities?”
To find insights into the above propositions, I make an observation about the object in relation to my thesis in order to find out the unknown facets. After that, a series of photographs are taken and compiled, much like figures in a natural history book, and through induction, we are able to reach a conclusion about the nature of the object. It represents the relation between audiences and the environment surrounding people living today.
PhD in Material Science (2009 Tokyo University of Science) and BA in Applied Biology.
Self-tought photography and related art.
【Exhibition / Award】
- Solo Exhibition: “Natural Theology” (Gallery Forgotten Dreams, Tokyo)
- Group Exhibition: “TUS Art gallery” (Tokyo University of Science, Tokyo)
- Solo Exhibition: “Nature of Civilization” (Gallery Forgotten Dreams, Tokyo)
- AWARD: “ONWARD Compé 2014″ Finalist
- Group Exhibition: “Portfolio Exhibition” (3331 Arts Chiyoda, Tokyo)
- Group Exhibition: “Raiec SHOW” (Gallery TANTO TEMPO, Kobe)
- Group Exhibition: “The ONWARD Compé 14 Exhibition” (Project Basho Gallery, Philadelphia)
- Group Exhibition: “TUS photography” (Tokyo University of Science, Tokyo)
- Art Fair: “The Art Fair +plus ULTRA 2014″ (Aoyama Spiral garde, Tokyo)
- Solo Exhibition: “Time+Dimension+Vector” (Gallery Forgotten Dreams, Tokyo)
- AWARD: “Tokyo International Photography Festival Competition 2013″ Selected 8 photographer.
- Group Exhibition: “TIPC 2013 in Tokyo” (72 Gallert, Tokyo)
- Group Exhibition: “TIPC 2013 in N.Y” (United Photo Industries gallery, N.Y)
- Group Exhibition: “Forgotten Dreams-1st stage” (Gallery Forgotten Dreams)
- Group Exhibition: “ART & PHOTO BOOK EXHIBITION 2012 invited” (ShinjukuGankaGarou, Tokyo)
- AWARD: “Photographer’s Forum magazine – 32nd Annual Spring Photography Contest” FINALIST
- AWARD: “Prix de la photographie paris 2011″ nominated
- Group Exhibition: “Portfolio×Portfolio” (Gallery Yasashii-Yokan, Tokyo)
“Hyakubei No.35″ / 2015
“Monthly Art”, “Shutter magazine Vol.10″ / 2013